About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

World Traveler

Years ago, I read an essay about what it was like to have a special needs child. My grandson was a preemie and they tend to develop at a slower rate until they are about two years old, then things equal out. Their age is always adjusted to when their real due date would have been. We count back 9 weeks. I began to think about that essay and how it pertains to my grandson. I wrote my own thoughts about the road I travel with him. I call my story "World Traveler". Having a baby is like planning a trip to France. You chart out the itinerary and acquaint yourself with every aspect of that country. You learn the language.You know where to shop and where to eat. You know all of the important landmarks. All of your friends have been to France so they can give you wonderful advice. All of a sudden you are told that you will be taking the trip to France  weeks earlier than you planned. You aren't ready, but the plane is taking off. You board the plane, but it lands in Switzerland . You haven't done the research on Switzerland. You have no idea how to speak the language or where to go. This was an unexpected landing. You stay in Switzerland and learn that the Alps are beautiful and the watches are the finest in the world. You are proud to live there. After a while you are notified that you must move to Belgium, then Austria. Each country has its beauty and unique culture. You know that you have a ticket for France in your wallet but you do not have a valid visa yet so you cannot enter the country that your friends have enjoyed, yet. It doesn't really matter though, because you have created wonderful memories along the way in all of the countries you have traveled through. Some people were meant to visit one country. Others were meant to be world travelers.

No comments:

Post a Comment