About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Smart vs Bright

I know a lot of smart people. I know a lot of bright people. I know smart people that are not bright. I know bright people that are not smart. I know people that possess both qualities. There is a difference. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose to be bright. In case this sounds confusing, let me clear it up. Smart people have knowledge from what they have learned from books or schooling. Bright people have knowledge from good instincts and keen insight. Let me give you an example. I know a very smart woman who cannot turn off an alarm system properly. As much as I tell her that her nails are too long and that is why the buttons do not engage correctly, she still insists that the key pad is faulty. I know a straight A calculus student who has backed up on an interstate when she missed an exit. It never dawned on her to go to the next exit and backtrack. I know a lawyer that answers phony emails because she believes that she has won something. In those cases being smart did them no good. On the other hand, if they were bright, they would be more aware of how to solve basic problems. Education does not mean you know it all.

2 comments:

  1. writer. all your words are properly used

    ReplyDelete
  2. This helps a lot. I never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete