About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vow of Friendship

For better or for worse. That is a line from a traditional wedding vow. It is also a guideline for friendship. Nowhere in that sentence does it say for normal times. It is easy to be a friend in normal times. My young doctor colleague learned a lesson this week about who is really her friend and who is concerned about her well being. She became a PhD at 28 years old, but the knowledge that she learned about friendship could never have come from a book. It had to come the hard way, from life. People need to learn some things for themselves or the lesson will not be a lasting one. Two people that she thought truly cared about her, showed no concern in her time of sorrow. It is easy to buy a birthday card or cupcake. It is hard to listen to a story when it has been repeated for hours. I knew who would be there for her in my office because I know who is there for me. The lesson she learned was that you only give your heart to those who truly care. To all others you only need to give respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment