About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Changing Language

I was talking to my husband the other day and he was telling me about when he was young and how the children on the block used to jump over the "Johnny pump". I looked up at him and said, "The fire hydrant?". He looked a bit confused as he did not realize that he used a word that was from his childhood. Language has changed. You can tell someone's age from certain words that they use. If you say "Johnny pump" you were born prior to 1970. If you say "dungarees", you wore them in the 1970's. If you want to eat "lucshen", you were born in the 1920's. For those who do not know, lucshen refers to noodles, macaroni or the ever popular "pasta". Sometimes, just for fun, I like to use an outdated word to see if someone can figure out the meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment