About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Monday, September 30, 2019

Culinary Identity

Culinary identity is knowing who you are culturally through food. I don't know if I just drummed up this phrase, but I cannot think of another way to express myself. Last night my family got together for a Rosh Hashanah dinner. My grandchildren were there. They are being brought up with two religious/cultural backgrounds. One is Italian and the other is Jewish. Food plays a very important role in both. Sunday family dinners are filled with delicious pastas, sauces and meats and reflect the Italian traditions. The Jewish side takes place around the holiday table. Last night's dinner was culturally perfect. The dinner included chicken, brisket, vegetables, potatoes and mushroom barley. All staples on the holiday table. The first course consisted of the one food that people identify most as Jewish, matzo ball soup. It was the most delicious matzo ball soup that I have ever had and I will try to recreate it. Here is where culinary and culture mix. I sat next to my grandson and he started to eat the soup. He has had it before and knows that it relates to his Jewish side. After eating one bowl and asking for more, he turned to me and said, "Grandma, on my next sleepover can we make this soup and have it for dinner instead of eating out"? I said of course we can and we will. Each holiday will reinforce, through foods, where his ancestors came from. It is so subtle but so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment