About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Out Of ConTEXT

People have always had disagreements. That is human nature. If you had a problem that needed to be ironed out, people would sit down and talk about it or speak on the phone. Sometimes the problem was solved, sometimes it was not, but at least you looked the person in the eye or heard their voice, to know what they really meant. Nowadays people argue via text message. The term "text war" was added into our vocabulary. I think that more things can be misconstrued when the words are written but the tone is not heard. Without the tone, the intent is not there. I can say, "What's the matter" in a soft tone and seem caring and kind. I can say, "What's the matter" in a gruff and nasty tone and seem argumentative. When you read words instead of hearing them, the interpretation is left up to the reader. That is dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment