About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Language Barrier

Yesterday morning a middle aged woman walked into my office at 8am. She seemed a little flustered and was trying to ask my receptionist something in Spanish. She had two papers in her hands. One was from her primary care doctor ordering an MRI and the other was the name and address of the radiologist's office. My receptionist looked at the papers and grumbled, "Not here" and turned away. The woman continued to try to talk to her but my receptionist kept saying, "Not here". The woman was almost in tears. I was able to make out the words that she was looking for the doctor since 6am but could not find him. I went over to the window and asked her for the paper. I saw the problem. Her RX was for Northwell Health Radiology. Just recently Great Neck Radiology changed names but did not list the new name on the information board in the lobby. I tried to tell the woman to go to the second floor but she did not understand me. I walked into the waiting room and told her to follow me. We got into the elevator and went to the second floor. I walked her into the radiologist's office. She looked so relieved. Her eyes welled up with tears and she said, "Thank you" in English. She then gave me a big hug. All it took was a minute of my time to help someone who was lost. When I got back into my office my receptionist looked annoyed that I went out of my way for someone. What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment