About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Friday, July 15, 2016

The Shut Off Man

I was visiting my parents the other day and my father began reminiscing about his family and the Depression years. He always has such wonderful stories and remembers them with extreme detail. The story he told I have titled "The Shut Off Man". I will try to tell it as he did. In the 1930's the gas company bills were about $2.00. Every month my grandparents sent in the $2.00 check. One month the check must have been lost in the mail. A month later a man appeared at their door. His name was Mr. Lindell. He was wearing a tool belt with a wrench and a screwdriver. He said he was there to shut off the gas for non payment of the bill. In those days if you paid the "shut off man" when he came to your house, he would give you a receipt and keep the gas turned on. My grandfather paid the bill, got the receipt and shook Mr. Lindell's hand. During those years jobs were at a premium and if you lost your job, another one was not in your future. Times were rough. My grandfather was a self employed tailor and he easily made ends meet. When the next bill was due, my grandfather told my grandmother not to pay it. A few weeks later Mr. Lindell was at their door again. My grandfather paid the bill on the spot. He then told Mr. Lindell that each month he would not pay his bill so he should expect to come to pick up the payment. He explained that as long as Mr. Lindell was guaranteed houses to go to, his job was secure. Mr. Lindell thanked him profusely and they became good friends. My grandfather did a small thing to help out someone else and it was greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment