About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Animal Shelter

Yesterday I went with a friend to the local animal shelter, North Shore Animal League, to adopt a puppy. This is a no kill shelter. I had never been to a shelter and did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The building was new and each area was designated for the age of the pet. Older dogs were placed first, with the puppies being in the back. I guess this strategy allows every dog to be seen. The cages were all clean and there was no animal smell. All of the dogs in the shelter looked cleaned and groomed.  Pet stores have more of an odor. We woum
We wound ourselves to the back and I spotted a beautiful Golden Lab mix. She was 8 weeks old. We took her out of the cage and she was so sweet and playful. My friend decided that this was his puppy, so he started the adoption procedure. You have to fill out a long form and give references. My husband was listed as the first reference and they called him within the hour to validate the application. The whole procedure took about 4 hours but was well worth it. He brought the puppy home to begin a new chapter together. I named her Goldie. There is a saying about adopting a new pet from a shelter, "Who rescued who?"

No comments:

Post a Comment