About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Not My Buddy

For lack of anything better to do, I began to watch a marathon of the television show "Next Great Baker". The show is an offshoot of Cake Boss, a show about a man named Buddy, who owns a bakery in Hoboken, NJ. It is a specialty bake shop that makes amazing cakes. The show was entertaining until they got to one specific challenge. Each team of bakers had to duplicate a cake that was made by Buddy. It had to be perfect and look good enough to be a cake he would sell in his shop. Each team started to reproduce the cakes to see who could create the most and win the challenge. As each cake was finished, Buddy inspected them. If it was good, he put it on the table. If it did not pass inspection, he tossed it into a garbage pail. One by one, the cakes were forcefully tossed into the garbage. In total 11 cakes were discarded and 7 passed muster. For some reason as I saw him toss each cake, I found myself getting upset. All I kept thinking about was hungry people who had no food to eat, and this man tossing cakes aside like garbage, all because they did not look picture perfect. A total waste of edible food. In a flash, I saw why people look at Americans as shallow, wasteful people. Eleven cakes could have been cut into 88 slices and fed 88 thankful people. Instead they sat in a heap, in a black hefty bag. I do not think I will watch this show again.

No comments:

Post a Comment