About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Lola

When I furnished my first home, I wanted to find the perfect picture to hang in the dining room. In those days there were not the stores that we have now, so I was having some difficulty. My mother in law suggested that  I"commission an artist" to paint one for us. I looked in the phone book and called a woman named Lola. My husband and I drove to her gallery and explained what we wanted. I brought a swatch of the carpeting and showed a picture of the type of painting I wanted. Two weeks later Lola called to say that the painting was ready. We went into the gallery and she unveiled the artwork. It was nothing like what we wanted. We were young and embarrassed to speak our minds, so we took the painting home. We put it up and it has hung in our dining room for 35 years. When we remodeled our house this month, we decided to put the painting away and buy a new one. Last night we put back all of the furniture into the rooms after the floors dried from being refinished. The room looked sad. The Lola picture was not there. That painting felt like "home" and without it the room would never feel right. We brought it up from the basement and hung it in its spot. Everything seemed right again. Lola had become a part of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment