About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Blue Skies

A few years ago, I was visiting Key West. I took a tour of the island and one thing stood out. Every house had it's soffits painted light blue. A soffit is the underside of a porch overhang. I had never seen this before and wondered why everyone's porch had this. I asked a few people who were walking near me, also out of towners, and they had no idea why. Then, I asked a native of the Keys. I seems that there used to be a problem with bees and wasps making their nests in the soffits. Someone realized that if you paint the soffit sky blue, it tricks the insects into thinking that it is the sky and they are intelligent enough to know you can't make a nest in the sky. It is interesting that this is not done in more towns.Maybe we are just too stylish to have blue porches.

No comments:

Post a Comment