About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Semantics

I was shopping in a local neighborhood grocery store the other day and needed a dozen eggs. I had a coupon to get the eggs for free. The coupon read "Free eggs. Value up to $3.29". After the cashier was done scanning all of my items, she said "where is the second dozen eggs"? I said "what second dozen? I am only taking one and that one is free". She said "No, you need to buy 2". As much as I explained the wording to her, she was still fixated on a second dozen eggs. I slowly said that this was not a "buy one, get one free" offer. It was a ONE FREE offer. No other purchase necessary. She still did not get it. Now, I am holding up the line, but no one seemed to care, because they all were agreeing with me and wanted to see how this would play out. Next, the cashier calls over another cashier. She scrutinizes the coupon and says "where is the second dozen eggs"? I am now looking around for the television cameras. The cashier next to them nodded to me that I was right, but she didn't seem to want to get involved. Maybe these were her friends. After a long five minutes of explaining the semantics of the coupon, I left without my free eggs. I went a block away to Waldbaums and purchased them without any drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment