About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Project

I will be seeing my granddaughter next week. Instead of buying her a gift, I decided to make her one. I bought a wooden jewelry chest and some mosaic tiles and began to create a one of a kind box. So far, I have been working on it for two weeks. First the glass tiles needed to be cut to size. Then I had to glue them on. Next I had to grout the tiles. I never realized how many tiles were needed for a box this size. I also never realized how heavy the box would become. Once the tiles were on, the lid of the box separated from the frame, due to the weight. I needed to replace the old hinges with new ones. Banging on the hinges loosened the tiles. Some tiles had to be glued on again. The tiles that fell off created grout dust so the felt lining that I had covered the box with needed to be replaced. Finally after two weeks, the box is done. It took about 60 work hours and wound up costing almost $100. It looks great but not perfect. A manufacturer does perfect. A grandmother does love.

No comments:

Post a Comment