About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Somebody Stop Me

Almost thirty years ago, after my first son was born, my sister gave me a Baby Book. As most people know, this type of book chronicles the first major events in a baby's life. First food, first immunizations, first haircut, and so on. The book has picture pages for the first five birthdays. I wrote in this book diligently and never missed a milestone. When his fifth birthday came and went, I decided not to stop the book. By this time I had taken 4 pictures of him sitting on the front step with his hands crossed. I missed the first year as he couldn't sit up yet. I got out some blank construction paper and added a few pages to the book. I vowed that I would stop when he got to be ten. Well, ten came and went. I added five more pages and took five more pictures. All the same. All on the front step. Fifteen became twenty. Twenty became twenty five. On his twenty fifth birthday, I said enough is enough. He is now a married man. No more baby book. I felt like a drug addict as I continued to add pages 26,27,28,29 and 30. I was possessed. It had become an addiction. I now have a flip book of a child in the same pose, on his birthday, for 29 out of 30 years. It is almost an anthropological study of how a human being grows. Somebody stop me.............

No comments:

Post a Comment