About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Working Hard or Hardly Working

Over the past few years, unemployment rates have skyrocketed. While I know that the percentages are somewhat correct, in many ways they are skewed. We are not accounting for the people who are unemployed and do not really want to work. I run a medium sized medical practice and every few years I need to replace some part time workers. Unfortunately, part time workers can be like hamsters. They turn over frequently. I have been lucky, though. My three part time evening girls have been with me for over 4 years. All through college. Not it is time for them to go out into the real world. I know I have coddled them and they will be in for a rude awakening when they become employed in other companies. I often tell people that it is equally as hard to find a good worker as it is to find a good job. I placed an ad a few weeks ago and was very clear on the working hours and salary. Eleven people called and set up an interview. Nine never showed up. Never even called to cancel. One girl I interviewed told me about her anxiety and depression and how she never could hold down a job. Now I was down to the last interview. This girl had no idea that if she was able to breathe and talk, she had the job. Today will be her first day. I hope she shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment