About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Too Much Protocol

Years ago society in general was more formal. We had Emily Post to guide proper etiquette. Now we seem to be going it on our own and not doing such a great job. Let me give you an example. In the 1950's wedding invitations were sent out four weeks in advance. In the 1970's we bumped it up to six weeks. Then it became eight. Now ten weeks in advance is not uncommon. For some reason we then became insecure and felt the need to give advanced notice that an invitation would be coming in the future. Hence, the save the date came into being. That is where the trouble began. The save the dates were sent out six months in advance, then eight months and now they are sent nine months. Friendships can drastically change in nine months. People that you wanted in June may no longer be close to you in March. People that were only acquaintances in January might be your best friend in September. If you sent a save the date you are obligated to send an invitation. If you did not send the save the date the person may take the invitation as a second thought invite. I want to go back to the 1950's. Send me an invitation four weeks before the event and if I am free I will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment