About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Hanukkah

Today is the first day of Hanukkah. The beginning of the holiday season, as far as I am concerned. Our annual  pot luck holiday luncheon, at work, was yesterday. It was like the movie Ground Hogs Day. Everyone brings something, whether it is an appetizer, main dish or dessert. People are consistent from year to year. We all look forward to Keith's macaroons and dread Katharine's dry macaroni and cheese. We arrange the chairs in a semi circle and the room looks like we are getting ready for group therapy, which, by the way, would not be such a bad idea. We all fill our plates, sit down and begin to eat. Silence. You could hear a pin drop. Awkward. Other than work, we have nothing to really say to each other. Maybe we are just a boring group of people. When I get to the point of hearing myself chew, I can't take it any longer. I start a conversation, about the stupidest thing, but, lo and behold, everyone joins in. When that topic is exhausted, I think of another. I feel like the MC. These are all intelligent people, but no one seems to have the social skills to intermingle. I wish we could cut out the yearly party and just make doggy bags to take home. I can't handle the holiday stress anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment