About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

HIPAA

For the past 12 years, the word Hipaa has been tossed around. No one really know what it is or what it stands for, or even why we need it. The acronym means Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act. It first started off as being a way to protect your privacy when it came to health records. Years ago, anyone could call a doctor and ask about your medical conditions. Now that information can only be released to the people or companies you have given permission to have it. That is, providing your doctor's staff does its job. Somehow Hipaa has morphed out into the mainstream world. Every day I receive mail from credit card companies, Verizon, LIPA, my oil company and other unnamed businesses. They all send a four page letter saying how they are protecting my privacy. We all get these letters, but who has really reads them? I bet no one. If all of the places I do business with are protecting my privacy, how are solicitors getting my information to call and annoy me?

No comments:

Post a Comment