About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Super Market Memories

When I moved into my house 30 years ago, one of the highlights of my day was walking to the local Pathmark supermarket. It was four blocks away and was the perfect destinationespecially if you had small children. It filled up the afternoon with a walk in the fresh air and light shopping. I could buy whatever would fit in the carriage basket. Some memories never fade. I still see myself pushing a large carriage with one baby lying in it and the other toddler sitting on the chair attachment. The employees at Pathmark became the people of "the neighborhood", like Mr Rogers used to talk about. Now that I think of it, most people do not remember the show Mr Rogers. My children loved it. He was a nice man that spoke so softly. As my children grew, so did my memories. A typical day would include walking to Pathmark, stopping at the card store for a 5 cent tootsie roll (only if the kids behaved) and walking through the aisles of the store. We would always go to the bakery, and Ella, the bakery lady was always ready with a fresh baked cookie on hand. We would say hello to the meat cutters and deli slicers. We would then check out at Nora's aisle. She was a sweet lady with an Irish brogue. Now, Pathmark is closing within a few weeks. Now the pharmacy is closed. The bank will close soon also. The shelves are emptying. I can no longer go there and see the desolate store. It is like seeing someone slowly dying. I will not go there again. I want to remember how it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment