About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Language Barrier

Last night I ate in a local Chinese restaurant. I have been there many times before and the food is great. Usually the owner takes the order, but this time a waiter took it. My family is very specific in some things that they eat due to dietary restrictions. This is how I placed the order. "I would like cold noodles and sesame sauce. Are there and greens in it, like cucumber or scallions?" The waiter responded "no". I then said, "I would like orange chicken but I see there is a notation that it is made in a spicy sauce. Could it be made with a mild sauce so it is not hot or spicy?". He said "yes". I then said, "I would like a cup of walnuts on the side. Do you have plain dry walnuts without any sugar or honey on them"? He said, "Yes". Ok, so if you are with me so far, I have ordered cold noodles with sesame sauce, no greens. Orange chicken, mild, not hot or spicy. Plain dry walnuts. This is what I got.... cold noodles in sesame sauce smothered in scallions, spicy orange chicken loaded with chili peppers and sugar glazed honey walnuts. I am not a fussy person, so I scraped off the scallions and I ate the walnuts even though they were supposed to be for my daughter in law. The orange chicken had to be sent back to be remade. By the time it came out, we were full, so it will be today's lunch. I think the owner needs to reconsider delegating the job of order taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment