About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Roll Down Your Sleeves

When I walked into my dollar store yesterday, I saw Halloween decorations! It is still July, but retailers feel the need to rush the seasons. Other signs of Autumn are also arising. Political campaigning. Television is being flooded with the annoying commercials showing each candidate. To me, they are all the same person, with exchangeable faces. They tout the same promises and portray themselves as the only politician that sees the truth and is here to rectify all the wrong doings of their predecessors.These commercials have one subliminal message that I do not like. They are trying to make us believe that the candidate is a hard worker, a hands on person, who gets into the trenches, if needed. It is done with only one visual aid. Rolled up sleeves. What have they actually done all day, to need their sleeves rolled up. Have they scrubbed a bathroom? Have they tilled the land? Have they changed the oil in their car? No. They have done none of these. They have spent the day, memorizing speeches and having luncheons. But the allusion of a rolled up sleeve, makes us think that they are exhausted and sweating from all of their hard work. I find myself not focusing on their words, but on their cleverly planned wardrobe. Roll down your sleeves and speak the truth. Is that too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment