About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Language Barriers

I live in America. We are a multilingual society. Native born Americans are taught English as their first language.I do not understand how we can have such an appalling command of our own language.I am comfortable in my belief, that this does not happen in other countries. Is our educational system lacking the incentive to monitor how our youth speaks? Last night I was watching a mindless show named The Real Housewives of New Jersey. It was shameful that these women sound so uneducated. If this is how we see American housewives, I am embarrassed. One of them speaks so poorly, that I am not sure if she is joking. Unfortunately she is not. As an example, in this episode, she used the word "ingredientses". Yes, she pluralized an already plural word. She then proceeded to ask her husband if he wanted a "sangwich". Yes, a sanGwich. Is that something you eat as you sing? The last straw was when the "intelligent" housewife totally mispronounced a common word. It should have been pronounced as enVELoped. She said ENvelpoed, as in a piece of mail.  After that I shut my set. I just could not take anymore. My brain would have exploded.

No comments:

Post a Comment