About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gifted

I have a new word that I have issues with. Gifted. This term is used by many parents to describe their child. I wonder if they have any idea how ridiculous they sound. Every child is a gift. No child is more special than another child. I laugh when a parent calls me to book an appointment with one of my psychologists. They tell me the reason why their child is having trouble and just before the conversation ends, I am informed that the child is gifted. They have no friends, do poorly in school, fight with everyone in the family.....but they are gifted. Do they really think that makes a difference to me? Your child still needs counseling. Maybe the pressure of being referred to as "gifted", is taking it's toll on them. That is a high standard to live up to. The bar may be a bit too high for them to jump over. Stop saying your child is gifted and just let them be who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment