About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Toyland

Before we know it, holiday season will be here. The retailers push the seasons, more than ever. I already see Halloween decorations in the stores even though we are still wearing bathing suits and flip flops.Every parent wants their child to have the newest toys on the market. I remember back in the 1980's when Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage. Parents stood on line for hours just to "adopt" their own doll. They were sold on the "black market" for outlandish prices. Parents got into fist fights in the aisles of the toy stores where stock was limited. I always thought the dolls were creepy, and since I had boys, I never joined the frenzy. I do remember searching high and low for a Transformer action figure named Man-O-War. It took weeks and many visits to Toys R Us, but I got it. The prized Man-O-War figure. That was the only time I ran around like a lunatic looking for a toy. I learned my lesson a few weeks later when I found Man-O-War crammed in a corner of my playroom. Discarded, like yesterdays trash. I vowed never again to make any toy a priority. I soon realized that sometimes the box was more fun than the toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment