About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Farcebook

Facebook is now on the stock exchange. One young man has made billions of dollars from people's insecurities. I do not have a Facebook account. I do not judge others that do. To each his own. I question people's need to publicly write personal information. When my co-workers show me their Facebook entries, I silently "translate". I love when people say they had an awesome or amazing day, every day. Awesome, amazing, awesome, amazing. Number one, learn a new adjective. Number two, come on, no one has so many awesome days in a row. Then there are the "love bugs". I love you. I love you more. I love "u". I love you "2". I have family and children that love me. I do not need to write it on a public wall. I call them on the phone and tell them. Some posts have ulterior motives. "You are the best parents/grandparents in the whole wide world" means I will need you to babysit Saturday night. "My hubby is the bessssssst", means he really isn't so great but maybe if I write it down it will make him seem more desirable. Most posts are repetitive phrases that have no bearing on life. The best part is when your 857 friends add to the post. "So true","I agree". Some find the need to answer the earth shattering post from their mobile phones. Your comment could not wait until you got home? You needed to validate someone's meaningless writing, immediately? Instant Facebook gratification. I know one grandmother of teenagers who has one rule. When we go on a family vacation, no phones are allowed until the end of the day, at bedtime. Don't use family time for social networking. Just enjoy quality time with Grammy and the family. These vacations are priceless. I am not being cynical, but when I go to a restaurant and see four people sitting at a table, each one on their iPhone, it makes me long for TWBF. The World Before Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment