About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Monday, June 10, 2013

The Cut Off

I was walking down my block on Saturday and saw an elderly neighbor walking up his driveway. I guessed his age to be over 80, as he was in his late 50's when I moved in 30 years ago. He was holding a walker and slowly shuffling from the street  into his driveway. One foot at a time was gingerly placed in front of each other and then there was a pause for a few seconds as he steadied himself. I did not want to start a conversation because I was on my way home and the conversation would have been a long one. He would reminisce, as usual, about how the block was when his sons were kids. I stopped walking a few houses away and decided to wait until he got to his front door. That way I could say a quick hello as I passed. After a few minutes, he was at his doorway and I walked by and greeted him. That is when I realized where he was walking from. His car. He had just parked his car and was walking into his house. That was a scary thought. How does this man, who can barely walk and coordinate his legs, drive. At what age should the government access driving skills. If he walked that slow, would he also be that slow when he needed to put his foot on the brakes. I still have that picture in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment