About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Storyteller

I am blessed to have parents who are almost 90. I am more blessed that they still have all of their faculties. Last night I played Mah Jongg, as I have done for the last 28 years. One of the girls took out her iPad to show us something special. It was a recording of her father, who is 96 years old, telling stories about his youth. He was reminiscing about when he was 16 and worked for a butcher. We sat there mesmerized, listening to every word he said. He never once stopped to regain a thought. His story flowed and was very detailed. As I watched him, I was comparing him to my father. He also tells stories of his youth, in vivid detail. My friend had filmed her father in "interview" style. We could have listened to him tell stories all night. The family history that he was sharing is priceless. It was from a time when life was hard, but also simple. I was so glad that she shared this gift with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment