About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Disabled?

I was in 7-11 yesterday morning buying my lotto tickets. Ahead of me on line was a boy, around 20 years old. He seemed a bit mentally disabled by the way he spoke to the clerk. He spoke very slowly almost thinking about each word before he said it. He was with a crew of workmen and must have been starting his workday. After he paid, he must have realized that he left his wallet home. He took out his cell phone and called his house. Since I was standing on line waiting to pay, I overheard the entire conversation. This is what he said: "Hi Dad. Did I wake you? You sound a little tired. Did you sleep ok? I think I left my wallet at home. If you have a minute could you please look for it. Dad, if you are tired, you don't have to do it now. Only if you have a minute." Then I heard him say, " Thank you, Dad. Have a good day. I love you". The boy spoke so kindly and respectfully to his father. It was the nicest parent/child conversation I have heard in a long time. When I think of how most teenagers speak to their parents, it makes me think. Who really has the disability?

No comments:

Post a Comment