About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Honor Thy Neighbor

I live in a highly populated area on the outskirts of New York. Each house plot is approximately 60' x 100 '. Not too bad of a size. This allows for many families to live on the same block. Yet. when I go on vacation through rural America, and see the vast acres of land that separates each family, I can't help but think if they feel lonely, being so far away from other people. What if there was an emergency. Not the kind that needed police, but the kind that needed a friend. Who would they call? My son moved into a new house this week and we are watching the neighbors walk past us while jogging or walking their dogs. Not one of them have looked up at us to make eye contact so we could say hello and introduce ourselves. Maybe they think we are the hired help fixing the house up, but never the less, we are still people. Then I got down to thinking....... I am living in the same home for 30 years and could not tell you the names of the people 4 doors down the block. We go into and out of cars and never take time to stop and say hello to each other. Kind of sad.Today when I am back at the house working, I will make it my business to be the one to break the ice and say hello and see what reaction I get. Maybe being close has nothing to do with distance, but with state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment