About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Times They Are A Changing

Years ago I read a quote from a very famous man. He said something to the effect of "the youth of our times does not honor the values of their parents. They are wild and unruly and have no respect for their elders". This quote is attributed to Socrates. So, even centuries ago, parents felt that their children did not follow their guidance. My generation listened to the stories of how our parents walked to school in 3 feet of snow. I was told how lucky I was that disposable diapers were invented, as the women of the 1950's had to wash cloth ones. My children cannot believe that there was a time when juice packs did not exist. I remember many years ago, wondering how liquid could be put into a cardboard box and not leak. When my children were toddlers, we carried thermoses. The world seems to be changing too rapidly for me. If I have gotten to the phase in life when I can say "I remember when....", then time has really flown by. Even language has been effected. The meaning of many words have changed. If you are my age, you will remember the old ones as well as the new. Remember when:
Spam was a lunch meat
A mouse was a rodent
Pasta was called macaroni
Jeans were referred to as dungarees
Cells were rooms that inmates lived in
Online really meant waiting on a line
Text was what you read on the pages of a book
Going viral was when chicken pox infected the school
I guess life is change.....and change is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment