About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aretha Franklin said it best. RESPECT. We used to earn it or give it, but recently I do not think we can even find it. Not only do we not have respect for others, some of our youth does not have respect for themselves. I find it disgraceful to walk behind a young man who has his jeans so low down under his behind, that his boxer shorts are visible. How is he trying to portray himself to the world. Do strangers need to see his underwear? To me it shows laziness, and slovenliness. By his appearance, I can tell that he is most likely unemployed and uneducated. Part of our respect problem stems back to our school system and its' dress code. When I was in school we respected and even feared the teachers and the principal. Just the thought of being sent to the principals office kept most of us in line. Now students feel they do not have to follow rules and even curse at authority figures and get away with it. WE fear THEM! When did our standards become so low that we became complacent and allowed this. I may be wrong but I think that how you dress can change how you act. That is why parochial schools have higher test scores. When you wear proper attire you sit up a little straighter and perform better. It's a fact. Furthermore, the way we disrespect the police is appalling. In my world, when a police officers asks you to move your car if it is illegally parked....you move it. When they ask you a question ....you answer them. This should not be a choice. Democracy does not mean "free for all".

No comments:

Post a Comment