About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

No Strings Attached

Many years ago, while standing on a soccer field, watching my son play ball, I saw a man talking to himself. All of the parents stared at him, thinking he was delusional. When I looked closer, he was holding a brick like object to his ear. It had an antenna coming out of it. Someone said it was device called a Cell Phone. We all stood there with our eyes wide open, utterly amazed at this invention. How could he be on the telephone, in the middle of a soccer field, with no wire attached? Of course that was a very long time ago and cell phones are now an extension of our hands. Are we really better off since their invention. Sometimes I think we are not. We lost a lot of our privacy and independence by having cell phones. And a lot of excuses too. We can no longer say "I tried calling you, but no one was home". We are at the beck and call of family and friends and there is no where to hide. We lost our "Me" time. Time to drive in your car and just think. Time to take a walk totally interrupted. Children do not have to learn to solve life's problems anymore, because all they have to do it "hit the cell" and ask mom and dad for advice.  We have become a rude society. Eating a meal with one person while talking to another. Not to mention texting. I want to return to the olden days when relationships meant more than technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment