About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Courier and Field

Semantics. How you say things. A matter of the right words. Communication is the way we get our point across and some people have a better way than others of doing that. Years ago, I worked with a woman named Debbie. She could take the most mundane task and make it sound so important. My job description entailed handing out the doctors mail and customer telephone calls. On occasion, if I was on vacation, Debbie took over for me. After a few years, Debbie wanted to look for a new job. She brought in her resume. As part of her job responsibilities she listed "courier of documents". I asked her what she was talking about as I knew her daily routine. She told me that putting the doctors mail into their mail slots was couriering documents. Wow. Here I thought I was delivering mail, while Debbie was a courier. When I read further down on her resume, she "fielded patient inquiries". I answered phones but Debbie fielded inquiries. No wonder why she got every job she interviewed for. Who wouldn't want to hire a person that is a trained courier and knows how to field?

No comments:

Post a Comment