About Me

My photo
I am a life coach and motivational speaker.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Say My Name

Today is my last day in Florida. Yesterday, I went to the cemetery, to visit my in-laws. I do this every year. This was the first year I did not get lost going there. It is located on a Dead End street. No pun intended. When I arrive at the mausoleum, I stand under their grave placards and tell them what has been happening all year. I update them on their grandchildren and the world in general.When I am through, I tell them that I will be back next year to see them. Then, I start to exit the cemetery. That is when I start my goodbye ritual. It is a small cemetery and only has enough room for about 150 graves.  I go up and down the rows and say each name out loud. I stand at each grave for a moment and see how many family members are together and how old they were when they passed away. I believe that if I say their names, they know that they are being remembered. Once I have said my respects to all of them, I pick up a rock and place it on a random grave. In my religion, it shows that they have had a visitor. When I exit the cemetery, I have tears in my eyes. Tears for the deceased and tears for the families that loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment